Pages

Us

Us
me and my handsome feller!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

White Carpet lesson of forgiveness

This morning, I was in a hurry to iron my dress. I didn't want to wake Terry up with getting the iron out, so I didn't . I plugged in my iron and had my floor all ready to iron on...yes, those of you that know my carpet history with irons are probably cringing about now. It is this beautiful dress with a very silky liner on the inside. So I lay it down flat to iron the bottom part of it, and I started ironing. Something happened, and I had to shift the dress, and when I did, the iron landed on the silky part of the dress. I knew instantly that I'd messed up. The silky part just fused to the iron and pieces of material were floating in the air. I checked my hair first to make sure none of it had singed off, and then I checked for damage to the skirt and floor. It's on the lining so no one could tell...whew
After the panic wore off, I sat thinking about a situation I had in college. I had just met Amanda and Buddy Vaughn. I had interviewed with Amanda to help out with the twins that growing in her belly and little girl Caitly, to clean their house, and on this particular instance, house sit. THey had just put in BRAND new WHITE burber carpet. I had to get ready to go somewhere that night, and I had this great red shirt that I wanted to wear, but it had to be ironed. I had never bought an ironing board, and I would always just iron on the floor. NO problem, right? I was in a hurry, and they had this outlet in the middle of the room, so I plugged in the iron and grabbed my shirt. I set the shirt down, and as I sat the iron down on the shirt, I instantly knew SOMETHING was wrong....partly, because the shirt and iron wouldn't move. You see, you can't iron on Burber carpet...it melts. So in the middle of the room, I stood up and with shirt in one hand and iron in the other at the HUGE mistake I'd just made on this brand new WHITE carpet with an iron shaped RED spot. I couldn't cut it out...it wasn't plush. What to do? I remember freaking out most the rest of the night. I really can't remember exactly when I told Buddy and Amanda, but I can tell you this...
They never raised their voice. I never felt the HUGE disappointment from them that I thought I would. I think we actually laughed a little as I cried from embarrassment and being so ashamed! (and I still had a job) They were able to cut a piece of scrap carpet to replace the one I'd ruined.
This couple taught me so much in life. I wouldn't even know where to begin, but on this particular occasion, I was taught that you don't have to tear someone down when they are already seeking forgiveness. Love and a hug were both given to me that day.
I have so many people that helped mold my life into what it is today. Little lessons of faith from Godly people that He's put in my life.
You never know when someone's watching. You never know what impact something you say or do might have on someone. You never know how you handle a situation may tear someone down or build them up. Your life should be a mirror imagine of HIM.

Thank you Buddy and Amanda for being a example of Christ to me. I've never forgot that day. I still shake my head at myself when I think about what I did, but more importantly, I remember the love and forgiveness I felt from you. Keep touching lives ...<3

PS I've used an ironing board 95% of the time since.

No comments:

Post a Comment