Three years ago made Thanksgiving one of my most memorable Thanksgivings. Kids had been gone to Dallas since July of that year, because I'd been in the hospital...read Butterfly days for explanation. We thought that it was going to be Christmas or January before they would be home. On November 14 of that year, we started to move from a hotel into our house. We had a few little things and a bed. That was it. We were in the process of finding toys and beds for the kids. The day before Thanksgiving my husband called me. I remember I was in the garage trying to get some things unloaded and organized. I answered the phone, and he said, "well, I just talked to your dad. We are going to Thanksgiving to see the kids, and we are bringing them home...tomorrow!" I was shocked, surprised, elated, crying, and so happy!
We left the next day to head to Dallas. The kids had no idea what was to await them. When we got there, we told them to start packing. They were so shocked. They didn't even want to wait for dinner, they were ready to GO! We could never really explain why our short weekend trips to Dallas why we couldn't take them home, and now they were actually coming home!
On our trip home, we smiled, cried, and held hands as we drove to our new home. A home that has held many precious memories for us. It's small, not in a very good neighborhood, and has mismatched furniture, but it is OUR home. A place of happiness and growth. I a place of healing and warmth.
3 years...it seems just like yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment