yes, 2 blogs in one night. A lot racing through my head right now!
When I went in for my thyroid surgery, it was supposed to be a "simple surgery". In and out in a day. Who knew that there could be problems? Not me! I didn't research it. I didn't care. I wanted a simple fix. Take that sucker out, give me some synthroid, and send me home...right? Oh so wrong. I knew that Terry would be worried. Hospitals and surgeries make him very nervous. Stems from his mom being sick when he was 16. I promised him I would "behave" (LOL), and it would be OK! As I laid in bed before I was wheeled in, it hit me that the doctor would be slicing my neck open...yikes! We were joking and being silly...it's what we do. We prayed before I was wheeled off. I really don't remember much after that until my life changing moment. I woke up the next morning. I remember Terry standing by my side. Something was wrong, but I really couldn't figure out what it was. Why were people racing around me? The doctor was standing at the end of my bed reading my chart. Out of nowhere, my fingertips and toes started to tingle. Man were they tight! The feeling started to creep up my legs and arms. My heart started to feel numb. I started to tell Terry that I wasn't feeling good...it was moving up all around me. I was shaking, numb, pins and needles...I was loosing my breathe. I felt like there was a 1000 pound weight put on top of my chest. My thoughts...Terry...oh Terry I'm so sorry! I promised everything would be ok. He's probably freaking out, and I'm so sorry! My lips began to curve in..I couldn't say anything but I"M SORRY! I was violently shaking, and I couldn't breathe. Somebody help me...I'm sorry! Again, I couldn't remember anything until I woke up in another room. ICU. The pain and shakes returned again and again. NO amount of morphine could kill the monster that had taken over me.
My nurse had forgotten to take a blood level. A simple blood level that would have kept me from going into a major thyroid storm. My body had turned on me, because I had no parathyroid to accept calcium. NO calcium equals rock hard muscles.
A simple surgery.
NOw as I wait for the call to schedule my next simple surgery, I sit here and wonder...will it be a simple surgery? Have I done enough research? Have I weighed all of the options? Dear Lord, please let this be a simple surgery. I love my life too much to give up again. I love my children and my husband too much to think of them alone. Please heal my body.
No comments:
Post a Comment